Re: sound velocity of water

From: Binquan luan (bqluan_at_uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 10:39:27 CDT

Glad to win a prize.:) Thanks. Let's discuss it further.

I am new to simulations of biology system. From my previous experience
in simulations of material, it is important for one to know the speed of
sound in your system. It set the time scale for signal (like stress) to
propagate through the simulation system. Thermostat or press control are
usually used in the simulations. The damping time scale in thermostat or
press control should be larger than the time scale for signal to
propagate through the system. Otherwise, the system is overdamped. For
example, a protein could move in certain time scale if not overdamped.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

In short, knowing the speed of the sound in your simulation system give
you some ideas on whether the system is in the overdamped region or not.

I could set up a simulation to measure the speed of sound in a box of
Tip3 water molecules. But I appreciate if anyone who already knows it
could tell me.

Binquan