Re: [Fwd: Re: SMD of small molecule dimer]

From: Marc Q. Ma (qma_at_oak.njit.edu)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 14:27:18 CDT

Hi Dora,

Sorry for getting back to you late. Here is my $.02

1. Depends on how you pull your system, you may be observing the
resistance from the solvent.

2. To see this, I'd suggest you solvate your system using a long and
narrow box of water, and pull the first NH group on each end of your
monomer. you will probably two pronounced peaks, one corresponding to
having 6 H-bonds, the 2nd corresponding to having two H-bonds.

3. If you think the rupture above is not the physics you are
interested in, you could do
  a. remove the solvent, and use Langevin forces to partially recover
some solvent effect, or
  b. have a huge water box
  c. fix all heavy atoms in one monomer, and pull the R2O group as
you did before, this way you may observe a few peaks corresponding to
rupture of 1-6 hydrogen bonds.

thus, depending your research design, you may come up with a few
schemes that each has its own pros/cons.

please let the list know how you solve your problems finally ....

best,

marc