Re: Problem about the energy change of refold of SMD protein

From: Marcos Sotomayor (sotomayo_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 00:30:44 CDT

Hi,

Assuming you are running on the NVE ensemble (TOTAL energy constant, as
done in the tutorial), then the TOTAL energy will change only if an
external (time-independent) force is applied to the system (Work done = force
x distance). Therefore, when you turn the force off, the system will
continue running at the same constant energy (If you switch the force to
half or a smaller value than the original force, then you should be able
to see how the energy decreases).

Note, however, that the tutorial SMD simulations deal with the protein
in vacuum, i.e., without solvent. If you had solvent, then when you turn
the force off, the protein likely will reduce its energy (just the
protein) while the energy of the system (protein + solvent) will still
remain constant.

Marcos