Re: preparing a dimeric protein for NAMD

From: Shirley Li (li19104_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 23 2005 - 17:35:59 CST

Hi Peter,

 Regarding psfgen, is it necessary to add ACE/CT3 to the two termini, i.e., to generate individual segment with:

         segment A {
         pdb chainA.pdb
         first ACE
         last CT3
         }
 instead of:
         segment A {pdb chainA.pdb}?

 Thank you.

 Shirley

Peter Freddolino <petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote: Hi Irene,
the similar numbering by itself should not be a problem. However, if you
have multiple chains, you need to feed them in to psfgen as two separate
files for it to properly generate the proteins and (especially) the
terminii. If you do not do that, chances are that their connectivity has
them joined end to end. You should probably split the chains into two
pdb files, and then in psfgen do something like
segment A {pdb chainA.pdb}
segment B {pdb chainB.pdb}
coordpdb chainA.pdb A
coordpdb chainB.pdb B

Does this make sense? The chain field by itself does not make a
difference. Counterions are also very important, so you should add these
using autoionize in vmd.

Best,
Peter