Re: NAMD distribute

From: Brian Bennion (brian_at_youkai.llnl.gov)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 10:18:41 CDT

Hello,

While the idea of distributed computing sounds great and has seen some
success, I would never trust the results completely.

Even the most popular venture, seti_at_home, has been plagued with secure
data transfer. Nefarious people just love throwing random data around
or makeing trojans. Then the data gets picked up and put into a
publication. IMHO the time trying to
check and secure your data stream isn't worth it and can be better spent
on sustaining your own machines.

Just my 0.02 (can't tell I work at a secure (paranoid) facility can you ;)

Regards
Brian

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Dan Strahs wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have a bit of an odd idea, but it struck me as I walked past a bank of
> computers all running Folding_at_Home. Has anyone done anything towards
> integrating NAMD with distributed grid computing methods? While this is
> clearly feasible, is it useful?
>
> Perhaps a NAMD based screen saver, working with the BOINC (Berkeley Open
> Infrastucture for Network Computing)? Just a thought - I think I could
> harvest some significant CPU cycles if this pans out - the source of the
> CPU cycles I hope to claim is currently in the top 10% of Folding_at_Home
> teams.
>
> Dan Strahs

  Brian Bennion, Ph.D.
  Bioscience Directorate
  Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
  P.O. Box 808, L-448 bennion1_at_llnl.gov
  7000 East Avenue phone: (925) 422-5722
  Livermore, CA 94550 fax: (925) 424-6605