Re: About the potantial of IONS

From: Mauricio Carrillo Tripp (trippm_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 10:29:17 CDT

*
*I believe this kind of phenomena can't be well described unless you use a
more refined
force field for the ion-water interactions. Standard water models lack a lot
of detail that
might be important for conditions other than the ones they were adjusted to,
therefore,
they might not predict the 'real' behavior outside these conditions.
I haven't worked with ion crystal formation myself, but I know these details
are important
to get a better description of ion hydration for example, even in
physiological conditions,
*
"A comparative study of the hydration of Na+ and K+ with refined polarizable
model potentials<http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=JCPSA6000118000015007062000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes>
"*,
Journal of Chemical Physics, *118*(15), 7062, 2003.

and references therein.

--
Mauricio Carrillo Tripp, PhD
Department of Chemistry