RE: Help with SMD

From: Blake Charlebois (bdc_at_mie.utoronto.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 11:10:47 CDT

Hi Eunice,

I am not sure whether I understand what you have described, but it sounds as
though either your water coordinates are not wrapped (this is neither good
nor bad, see coordinate wrapping in the NAMD manual), or you are turning off
your periodic boundary conditions after equilibration (this does not strike
me as a good idea; as soon as you turn off the periodic boundary conditions,
the system is no longer in equilibrium, which defeats the purpose of
equilibration). You can do SMD in a periodic box if you make the box long
enough in the pulling direction (see Gao, Craig, Vogel, Schulten, J. Mol.
Biol. 323:939, 2002).

Blake