RE: SMD-drifting of center of mass

From: Blake Charlebois (bdc_at_mie.utoronto.ca)
Date: Sun May 01 2005 - 21:23:48 CDT

Hi Ekta,

SMD does not place constraints on the coordinates of the pulled atom(s). It
only adds a force in one direction. The pulled atom(s) still experiences
other forces and can have momentum in any direction. I expect it is possible
to apply harmonic restraints (called constraints in the manual) in the x and
y directions, and to apply SMD forces in the z direction at the same time. I
suspect it would be difficult to constrain the motion of the pulled atom to
a straight line. Why do you want the x and y coordinates to be fixed?

Blake