Re: problem when do equilibration

From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 14:14:12 CDT

It is possible that when you first equilibrate, if you are running
constant pressure, that the cell shrinks noticeably early in the
simulation. When this happens, the patch grid that was originally
assigned is insufficient and atoms fall outside of the boundaries. A
margin gives some extra space for atoms to move beyond the patch.

None of this is physical though, just related to the way NAMD
internally divides the space. I think too big a margin will slow
things down so I wouldn't use it unless necessary (as it is here).

See Kale, et al., Journal of Computational Physics 151: 283-312.
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Publications/Papers/paper.cgi?tbcode=KALE99