Re: Using FEP as non-disruptive mutation procedure

From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_uhp-nancy.fr)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 05:19:37 CDT

Leonardo,

FEP may help you to grow a mutated sidechain in a protein. However, be aware
that in order to run an FEP simulation, you would have to build a hybrid
(so-called "dual topology") residue, for instance using psfgen to guess
coordinates for the new sidechain, then minimize it to obtain a resonable
starting structure. After the FEP simulation, you would still have to discard
the initial sidechain and convert the hybrid topology to the final one.

My feeling is that you would be better off building directly the mutated
structure using psfgen, and running a minimization followed by MD. Unless the
target amino-acid is much larger than the starting one, you shouldn't need to
grow it in a slow and progressive way.

Jerome

--
Jérôme Hénin
Equipe de Dynamique des Assemblages Membranaires