RE: Avoiding Rotation and translation of protein

From: Shirley Hui (s2hui_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 12:45:04 CDT

Hi,

You can remove rotational and translational degrees of freedom by reading in
the DCD files into Matlab, for each structure, peform a rigid structure
alignment with one of the molecules in the trajectory.

How to read in DCD using matlab:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Development/MDTools/matdcd/

Perform a rigid alignment using matlab via SVD:
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~hyao/RMSD.m

Read the structures back into DCD format using MatDCD again.

Matlab has limitations on how large input files can be though, so this may
or may not work depending on how large your DCD file is.

This approach to remove rotational and translational degrees of freedom iis
based on methods used widely in literature.

shirley