Re: FEP charge perturbation

From: Floris Buelens (floris_buelens_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 17:40:44 CDT

Many thanks for the detailed reply. After some
experimentation I believe I'm best off 'ignoring' the
issue and not including any ions, for reasons which
I'll quickly summarise.
I tried some simulations with an alchemically
disappearing sodium ion. In these simulations I ran
into a serious convergence problem. I initially placed
the ion randomly, and the beginning of the simulation
would give a nice stable dG, but at some point the ion
would drift close to the glutamate and be captured
next to it, giving a much larger dG. Obviously this is
not realistic sampling.
Interestingly, a regular sodium ion, not scaled with
lambda, does not get captured by the glutamate residue
in the same way - regular cations briefly associate
but don't get 'stuck'. If my understanding is correct,
this is because the alchemical Na+ exists within the
same "topology space" as the alchemical glutamate (in
NAMD FEP's "dual topology" paradigm) - whereas the
interactions of the Glu and the Na+ with the general
(non-alchemical) environment are scaled with the value
of lambda, interactions within the same alchemical
topology definition aren't scaled relative to each
other, so are relatively stronger - causing the
alchemical Na+ to sit next to the alchemical Glu.
Please do correct me if my understanding of this is
wrong.
My second justification for not adding ions is the
hope that my thermodynamic cycle should compensate for
any error introduced by the loss of a negative charge
- I'm completing the cycle by simulating the same
peptides in complex with a protein, which I've also
been doing without placing any ions. If there's some
kind of systematic error introduced, might it cancel
out as I'd be subtracting the same error later on
anyway? Any insight on this would be very welcome.
Kind regards,

Floris Buelens

--- Chris Chipot <Christophe.Chipot_at_edam.uhp-nancy.fr>