Re: Molecular Dynamics or Langevin Dynamics

From: Giovanni Bellesia (giovanni.bellesia_at_ucd.ie)
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 19:18:58 CDT

You're right Marc, but this is not exactly what I meant to say.
Once you assume the "ergodicity" of your molecular simulation, Langevin
Dynamics together with Nose-Hoover thermostat (and Nose-Hoover chains)
are all non-hamiltonian schemes for generating the canonical ensemble
(see for example J. Phys. Chem. B 2000, 104, 159-178).
Another common thermostat is Berendsen's. It is quite effective in
generating isothermal conditions, but you cannot prove that the
sampling is a canonical one (deviations are usually quite small
though).
All this in a quick and dirty way from a strict statistical mechanics
point of view.
G.