Re: compiling Namd on amd64

From: Brian Bennion (brian_at_youkai.llnl.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 10:20:46 CST

Hello Olivier

If you need to compile namd then you should download the source files from
the CVS repository. There have been many improvements since namd2.5 was
released.

You should also get the source for fftw, tcl, and the plugins and compile
those for your machine. ia64 is for intel itaninium processors not athlon
opterons. So no suprise in that error.

Finally, if you are compiling namd, have you already compiled charm++?
Did it go smoothly?

Regards
Brian

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, olivier Walker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to compile Namd on athlon64 processor following the "notes.txt"
> file. From the sources I dowloaded, I adde a Linux-amd64.plugin file (it
> was originaly missing). Then I wanted to download the corresponding
> binaries for fftw, tcl and plugin but there is nothing dedicated to
> amd64. Anyway, I tried with the ia64 version but during compilation it
> complains with "the selected processor doesn't suport x86-64 instructions".
> My question is the following: what kind of bnaries (fftw, tcl and
> plugins) can I download to compile namd correctly?
>
> Olivier

  Brian Bennion, Ph.D.
  Bioscience Directorate
  Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
  P.O. Box 808, L-448 bennion1_at_llnl.gov
  7000 East Avenue phone: (925) 422-5722
  Livermore, CA 94550 fax: (925) 424-6605