Re: namdplot

From: LEWYN LI (ll2150_at_columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 11:17:33 CST

Vivek,

         When I simulated a water droplet in vacuo without periodic
boundary condition, I saw water molecules evaporating from the droplet.
Then my guess is that both N and E of the droplet is no longer constant,
and the droplet is out of equilibrium. Then equilbrium statistical
mechanics no longer applies.

         On a practical level, I guess that if you run a "NE" or "NT"
simulation for only a short duration, you might still be able to get some
reasonable results. For example, if you simulate a large water droplet
for not too long, maybe the evaporation rate is slow enough that the
droplet is meta-stable. Then you might still be able to estimate some
properties of bulk water from your simulation.

         Having said that, I still wonder if the water dynamics in such a
simulation might be in serious error, because the water at the droplet
boundary will be seeing a vacuum on one side but other water molecules on
the other. I don't know how much this would affect the properties of the
droplet.

         Hope this helps!

                                                         LEWYN