Re: Full Electrostatic Calculations on Protein in Vacuo

From: MIke S (vmd.namd_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2008 - 16:26:02 CDT

Hi Axel,

Thank you for your assistance. I've determined that the best approach for
my system is to use a large cutoff value. I'm using a cutoff value of 2000
which should suffice since my protein stretched out is shorter than 2000
angstroms. I've managed to successfully run simulations with this cutoff
and the protein undergoes unfolding as expected. So far, our calculations
correspond fairly well with our experimental results (which are based on ion
mobility experiments where the temperature of the ions is similar to the
buffer gas temperature and the electric field is considered to be low).

Thank you for pointing out the discrepancy in the force field parameters for
solvent- vs. vacuum-based simulations. It is something that I overlooked.

All the best,

Mike