error with calling exec: child process exited abnormally

From: Yinglong Miao (yimiao_at_indiana.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2008 - 10:37:25 CDT

Dear NAMD users,

In my NAMD simulations, I have been calling "exec" to execute an MPI Fortran
code. The MPI code is tested to run properly given the input needed before I
put it into the NAMD run. But an error message "child process exited
abnormally" keeps coming up in NAMD simulation, even though the MPI code
seems to run well giving proper output. I have tried to suppress this
warning error message by implementing "catch", but after a certain number of
calls to execute the MPI code, the program runs into crash with "couldn't
fork child process: not enough memory."

Does anybody have experiences with handling such errors with calling exec?
Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Yinglong Miao
Ph.D. Candidate
Center for Cell and Virus Theory
Chemistry Department, Indiana University
800 E Kirkwood Ave Room C203A, Bloomington, IN 47405
Tel: 1-812-856-0981