RE: vmd-l: incompatibility between VMD & NAMD for reading Amber crd files

From: Kamp, Marc vander (Marc.vanderKamp_at_wur.nl)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 04:20:16 CDT

John,

You are right, I turns out to be a rst7 file after all.
I just assumed it was a crd-file, because I got it by using the saveamberparm command in tleap (or actually teLeap), the program used in AMBER to build the parmtop-files. I use the version of teLeap that is included in the NAB-distribution (v. 4.6) freely available at http://www.scripps.edu/case/ (I don't have the AMBER-suite).
I automatically asumed that teLeap writes crd-files when using the saveamberparm command, as seems to follow from the NAB-documentation (http://www.scripps.edu/case/nab5/NAB-sh-9.7.html#sh-9.7.54 ):

saveAmberParm

        saveAmberParm unit topologyfilename coordinatefilename

                UNIT unit
                STRING topologyfilename
                STRING coordinatefilename

        Save the AMBER/SPASMS topology and coordinate files for the UNIT into the files named topologyfilename and coordinatefilename respectively. This command will cause LEAP to search its list of PARMSETs for parameters defining all of the interactions between the ATOMs within the UNIT. This command produces topology files and coordinate files that are identical in format to those produced by AMBER PARM and can be read into AMBER and SPASMS for calculations. The output of this operation can be used for minimizations, dynamics, and thermodynamic perturbation calculations.

Apperently, actually rst7 files which hold the coordinates (and velocity and box-size info) are written, in stead of a simple crd file (holding only coordinates).

Still, the issue remains that VMD and NAMD treat these files differently. Maybe it should be mentioned in the description of the 'ambercoor' command in the NAMD user guide that the coordinates should be in rst7 format, or at least that there should be an title/empty line before the number of atoms followed by the coordinates. If there is no title or empty line, NAMD stops before starting calculations with the following message:
FATAL ERROR: Num of atoms in coordinate file is different from that in parm file!

I guess that the first coordinate is now read as the number of atoms, (the number of atoms being read as title line). If the number of atoms is on the second line, NAMD runs fine.

Regards,
Marc