Re: how many steps do we need do for energy minimization ?

From: Edward Patrick Obrien (edobrien_at_Glue.umd.edu)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 08:39:17 CDT

Pay attention to the 'Gradient tolarence' number in the the .log output
upon minimization. As a rule of thumb when this number is around 5.0 I
consider my system fairly well minimized.

  So your number of steps should be sufficient to get the number 'Gradient
Tolarence' <= 5.

  Additionally Plot the Potential energy vs number of steps and you should
get a feel for where it appears to be asymptotically tapering off.

Ed