Re: What, if no temperatue control specified?

From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_uhp-nancy.fr)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 14:19:48 CDT

Hi Brian,

I am not sure what you mean by "stochastic", between quotes. Most usual
thermostats, spanning from velocity rescaling to a Gaussian isokinetic
constraint, are certainly not stochastic (without quotes). They are indeed
completely deterministic. On the other hand, I agree that they do not
accurately model actual heat transfers (for good reasons), so you may say
they are incorrect in some way. But classical MD simulations are incorrect in
so many ways that a well-used thermostat is often not the most problematic
issue.

If you're interested in statistics, any thermostat that samples from the
correct ensemble should do the job. And if you want very accurate dynamics...
why not just run NVE?

Jerome