Re: how to get Charge of new residue?

From: yxiong_at_mail.ccnu.edu.cn
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 03:51:26 CST

Thank many people's answer on charge and HIS forms!

However, I know the protein residues in the topology file are not free amino
acids, but the corresponding section in a polypeptide. I just don't know which
molecule(A or B) I should use for my new residue (carbamylated Lys-169) to
calculate the charge?:
        COOH

> > H2N-C-H
> > |
> > (CH2)4NHCO2
> > (A)
> > as
> > CO
> > |
> > HN-C-H
> > |
> > (CH2)4NHCO2 (B)

 If I use B because it is the corresponding section, CO will go far away from this
molecule.
  That is to say, when deciding the charge of residue of protein, which molecule
will be used to calculate, free amino acid or section?
  Thanks a lot!